Thursday, July 14, 2011

Working

Since my last post, I have begun teaching business classes to a group of eleven students. I have only had one class so far, but I think it went pretty well. I am teaching off of a curriculum given to me during training. There is also a non-governmental organization currently teaching sewing classes to a group of about 25 in the community. Their classes end in mid september and after that my counterparts and I are working on organizing somekind of business plan with the group. It is a while away, but I think it has the potential to be a big project. There is also a governmental organization that is trying to organize an emergency action plan in the community I am working in. It is a big project and they are trying to make sure everyone is involved including local police, medical facilities and local schools and government. This is also another long process, but an important one. Other than that I am still teaching English classes at the local school.
 
I have also been doing a lot of work for the Gender and Development Committee here in El Salvador. One of the other volunteers on the committee wrote a musical on the subject of gender equality. The show is being performed by University students from El Salvador. It is being shown around the country and we are inviting volunteers to bring students from their local communities. The first show was performed yesterday in the national theater and it was a huge success. There were over 100 people and the actors did a great job. It was a great thing to be a part of. There are a few more shows these next couple months and I am sure it will continue to be a success.
 
The contents of this Web site are mine personally and do not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or the Peace Corps.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - you have been a busy guy! Great update. Thanks, Andrew. I forwarded this to the family. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Drew! We are so proud of you! Take care. Love you and miss you, too. Erik and Skeet said "hi"!

    ReplyDelete